Friday, March 21, 2008

Level Nine

City: Miami
Years Active: 1995 - 1997 (roughly)
Type of Music: Hardcore
Myspace or Website: n/a

Level Nine was one of the first local bands I ever saw and man were they awesome live. They really had a stripped down Rage Against The Machine feel but with less technicality, more chug breakdowns, and some rapping. As I got a little older and started going to more and more shows I kinda drifted away from them and got into other things, eventually just passing them off as a rap rock band. Later on, I got a copy of their demo as mine had been lost and man was I blown away. I thought about the energy they had live and how John commanded the stage when he was up there. I can look back now with fond memories and enjoy both demos. They broke up in 1997 (if I remember correctly) and had been talking to some label (Tommy Boy I think) but nothing ever happened. Joel went on to play in School For Heroes and Endo and Eddie played guitar in Darwin's Waiting Room.

Level Nine - Demo

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=P04PA006

Level Nine - Demo 2

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=AQ2OHY4F

5 comments:

Meli said...

i remember wearing a level 9 tshirt in school and no one ever knew who they were and they would make up some joke about what it meant. they were the first band i ever saw at cheers. i went with my friend ivonne who ended up with joel for a long time. i think they're still together if i'm not mistaken.

anyway it was cool to see them on the list! :)

Anonymous said...

I remember Level 9 being around (and quickly disappearing) just as I was entering the scene. On some level the fact that their singer was black made me feel that I could be accepted within the scene. Unlike Miami proper, the old scene definitely had an element of openness to it... Too bad I never got to see Level 9 play.

Thanks for bringing back the memories...

Raul O. said...

(((Learn Culture!! and the Pros and Cons!!!)))

Hell yea! I used to go to Cheers all the time, especially to see Level9. Great Time. Thank god Churchills is still alive, for now.

rauljo

Chris Hassett said...

Reading this gives me chills! They were also one of the first live bands I ever saw (at cheers) when I was 13 and 14 years old. I don't have a clue how our parents were ok with dropping us off there or letting us take metro rail. That's also where I was introduced to the mosh pit and nearly 20 years later I still can't get enough mosh pit therapy. We used to pay bums across the street to get us cigs, and quarts of schlitz malt liquor. Puke! I'm going to a Hardcore show tonight in Minneapolis and will definitely bash around the pit thinking of these guys tonight. I really wish I still had my signed cd I got from them at specs (I think) in coconut Grove.

Chris Hassett said...

Reading this gives me chills! They were also one of the first live bands I ever saw (at cheers) when I was 13 and 14 years old. I don't have a clue how our parents were ok with dropping us off there or letting us take metro rail. That's also where I was introduced to the mosh pit and nearly 20 years later I still can't get enough mosh pit therapy. We used to pay bums across the street to get us cigs, and quarts of schlitz malt liquor. Puke! I'm going to a Hardcore show tonight in Minneapolis and will definitely bash around the pit thinking of these guys tonight. I really wish I still had my signed cd I got from them at specs (I think) in coconut Grove.